8 December 2006

Training update

The training plan has been devised and I am in a phase known as aerobic base development. This is to lay the foundation of fitness that will be required for the torture ahead.

Essentially this consists of the following workouts
  1. 2 weekly sessions on an indoor trainer doing increasingly long intervals between 80% and 87% of my maximum heart rate.
  2. 1 x group ride with Bicester Millenium Cycling Club; this is usually around 60 miles or so.
  3. 1 x ride at 75-80% maximum heart rate for 60-70 minutes
  4. 1 x ride nice and easy for 60-70 minutes at 65-70% maximum heart rate.

The training plan runs in 4 weekly blocks with weeks 1-3 increasing in duration and intensity with the aim of overloading the system. Week 4 maintains the intensity but the duration of work is reduced significantly so that my body can adapt and recover. Thats the theory anyway!

I can now ride by myself for 60 miles and will increase my longest ride in my January peak week (3rd week in Jan) to 90 miles. Goal setting has been a great motivator, as I couldn't ride 5 miles when I went on my first ride back in July; being 10kg lighter has also helped!

:-)

No comments: